The example of W.E.B. Dubois looms large for me because he was both a straight ahead scholar, and also someone truly dedicated to changing the world through public engagement. While I disagree with some of Dubois' politics, I too seek to contribute and change the world through engaging with the public broadly considered. I've done this in a variety of outlets, but can be heard most regularly on the Marc Steiner Show, and on NPR's Tell Me More with Michele Martin.
I've written for The Urbanite, for Salon, for The Grio, and for other online publications, as well as for the Washington Post and the St. Louis Post Dispatch, among others. I've also appeared on The Real News Network and the Melissa Harris-Perry Show, as well as The Colbert Report.
Select Media Work:
- 2011. "Professor Re-writes Student's Image.", Story Corps
- 2011. "Thoughts on the Debt Ceiling Compromise", The Marc Steiner Show
- 2011. "Race, Black Nationalism, and Political Representation in American Cities", The Marc Steiner Show
- 2011. "A Tribute to Historian Manning Marable", BookTV
- 2011. "Professor Fulfills Obligation as Father of Five", NPR
- 2010. "White Space, Black Space", The Urbanite.